Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Runnin' Runnin'

2010 has been a banner year for me thus far. I can’t possibly imagine it going better. In the spirit of great things, I’ve decided to actually train for and run the Kansas City Half marathon this year. In 2008 (a mostly dismal year aside from the running season) I ran it, but my training was definitely sub par. I ran a bunch of 5ks and 10ks that summer, but really maybe ran only once in the 6 weeks prior to the half. I ended up finishing with a 2:09 which is just under a 10 minute mile. That’s quite respectable, especially considering my lack in training. I’ve been very out of practice in the running game since then, but I’ve picked up a little bit to prepare for the “Hannibal Cannibal” 5k that I ran on the 3rd with the boyfriend.


That run made me remember what I like about running (even while I was cursing my way up Lovers Leap – a harrowing quarter mile hill of steep calf killing hell). The sense of accomplishment I feel after finishing a “race” is incredible. I put race in quotes because, well, I’m not in any way racing against the other people so much as I am racing myself in order to improve. I’m not on the competitive level as far as ability and speed go. It’s not the same thing as running a distance by myself because it’s so much more tangible and official. I get a number to wear, there are people all along the course cheering me on (and motivating me not to stop) and the other runners near me give me just enough of a competitive edge to push myself. I love seeing my times improve. After I ran the KC Half in 2008 I was sore for 3 days (thanks to my poor training) but I loved saying “I ran a half marathon!” 13.1 miles! It’s not as difficult as it sounds and it’s an AWESOME feather in the cap.

I’ll be using the FIRST training program. Here’s the link to the Runners World ½ marathon adaptation of it:

I like this because it’s a 10 week program (giving me 4 weeks from now to just get into the habit of running a few days a week first) and it’s only 3 days a week of running, which is the most difficult kind of workout to fit into my schedule. The other days are rest and cross training days. I’ll probably do some strength training on my cross training days to balance out all the cardio. That’s easy to get done at home with videos.

I’m looking for running buddies in the race, but my schedule probably precludes me from actually getting to train with anyone. I’m going to be doing the program with the goal pace matching my last half (9:52-ish/mile). I’d go for an improvement (and I still might kick it up – who knows) but I really did take like a year off of running after the half last time (busyness happens.) and I would be happy just to get back to where I was. I don’t want to shoot too high and be disappointed.

Anyhow, if you’re happening upon this blog and would like to run with me at that pace on October 16,2010 – hit me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment